History of La Retama Library

compiled by Mrs. George P (Nellie) Derry, 1955

 

            The only source of information on the earliest years of La Retama Club are in the notes and scrapbooks of Miss Mary Carroll, compiled with the intention of writing a  history of La Retama Library, its founding and its development.

 

            Later, in March 1955, Mrs. George P (Nellie) Derry wrote a history of La Retama Library, which she presented at a meeting of the Friends of Texas Libraries, when the Texas Library Association met in Corpus Christi – the same month that the new La Retama Library was opened.

 

We have summarized both these histories as they relate to La Retama Club, and have concentrated our research on the years from 1955 to the present. However, we have included a copy of Miss Carroll’s notes in this folder, so that you may have in your possession, to read at leisure, the details of the early years of La Retama Club to the present.

 

 

                                    Mrs. Charles (Gladys) Gibson

                       

                                    Mrs. L. H. (Alice) Gross

 

                                    Mrs. Atlee (Courtney) McCampbell

 

                                    Mrs. W. F. (Rosalis) McCroskey

 

                                    Mrs. Cecil D. (Agnes) Redford

 

                                    Mrs. W. W. (Zora) Sterling

 

                                    Mrs. Byron (Lib) Vestal

 

                                    Mrs. V. G. (Eloise) Woolsey

 

                                    Mrs. Henry E. (Mary) Flynt

 

 

 

LA RETAMA CLUB

 1905 -------- 1985

 

Back to top

 

            The history of La Retama Club is forever interwoven with the history of La Retama Library. When the library was established, in 1909, La Retama Club was its founder, its sole owner, and was solely responsible for its operation and financial support.

 

            Through the years this relationship to the library has changed several times and in several ways, but our steadfast support of the public library has never wavered.

 

            We are fortunate in having a record of the early years of La Retama Club in the notes made by Miss Mary Carroll, one of its earliest members, who planned to write a story on La Retama Library, its founding and its development. Miss Carroll never completed her project, but her

notes and scrapbooks now in the library’s archives, provide exciting, fascinating, (sometimes hilarious) accounts of the earliest years. She records with charming detail the exciting adventures of this small group of young women as they struggled against tremendous obstacles, to provide their city with a library.

 

            Her story begins just after the turn of the century, on November 6, 1905, when Corpus Christi was a small village of about 5,000 people.

 

            The Monday Study Club, then the only woman’s club in our town, sponsored the organization of a new club for young unmarried women. Miss Lorene Jones, Later Mrs. Frank Lewis,

was the first president. The charter members named their club La Retama, for the native flowering tree, and chose club colors of yellow and green.

 

            For the first two years the object of the club was social enjoyment and study. However, to quote from Miss Carroll’s notes:

 The third president of the Club was Kathleen Jones, who served 1908 – 1909….

 Miss Jones had just returned from college in the East, and was filled  with high ideals and ambitions to make Corpus Christi a progressive town and one in step with the times. It was not ling till Kathleen’s ambitions awakened similar ambition in all the members.

Corpus Christi had no library and La Retama girls decided that in building a library for their town, they could achieve something of lasting value, for they sensed that the road they wanted to travel would wind on and on…into the future.

 

                Indeed it has wound on, for this decision to found a library set a course for La Retama Club which has endured to this day, and which defines its character.

 

                With youthful enthusiasm this small club of young women faced an enormous challenge: to fund a library, to equip it, and to keep it operating. Their fund-raising projects were varied and highly ingenious: they held a peanut hunt; they had book showers; they gave teas and

dinners; they operated lemonade stands; they sponsored a Chautauqua; they edited the Christmas edition of the Caller; they even went from door to door selling subscriptions to Holland’s Magazines!

 

                Their dream was realized when they established a public library on May 4, 1909 and opened it to the public in December 1909. It was located in a rented room of the Hatch and Robertson (later Lovenskiold) Building, across the street just north of the present La Retama Library.

There were 500 volumes on the shelves. The first few years it was open two afternoons a week and all day Saturday, with the club members, in alphabetical order serving as librarians.

 

Back to top

 

                The library became the meeting place of La Retama Club, each member paid for a chair, at $1.50, for the library room.

 

                By 1914 there was enough money in the library treasury to hire a librarian. This was Miss Marie Blucher, our first salaried librarian.

 

                Beside the constant need for money and books three major catastrophes slowed the growth of the library and threatened its very existence.

 

                In August 1916, a fire broke out in the Hatch and Robertson Building. The fire was not in the library, but many valuable books were lost through smoke and water damage. Some of the books were damaged as firemen threw them out the second story window----that is, until they

were stopped by the President of La Retama Club, Miss Julia Caldwell. Club members were horrified to see their precious books mishandled, even though the whole building was in jeopardy. With great care they strung those smoked and water soaked books on ropes to dry, moving them often

to keep the pages from sticking together.

 

                This disaster was followed almost immediately by the storm of 1916 which blew in the windows of the building. Salt spray again soaked the books. Again, with tender care, the books were dried and restored, and before too long the club was able to serve the public with a library,

however tattered and torn.

 

                In 1919, while the club members were planning to mount a campaign to raise $1,000.00 for the library, they were struck by a third and most devastating catastrophe – the awful hurricane of 1919. This was almost fatal. The books were again soaked ---- with water, mud and oil. Those not

totally ruined had to be sponged with ammonia water. All of this work was done by the club members.

 

                The books were in storage for a year, but in 1920 a $500.00 gift from the Red Cross enabled the club to reopen the library in temporary quarters. Again, a book shower helped to fill the shelves. Later, they campaigned for money, and by 1924 they had raised $1,000.00 in donations.

 

Back to top

 

                The stories of these early struggles have been repeated many times, yet with each hearing one has to marvel at the tenacity of these young women in pursuing their goal, their endurance, their unquenchable spirit. They refused to be defeated, regardless of the cost to them in time or energy.

 

                When Miss Mary Carroll, at age 79, gave all her precious scrapbooks and notes to the library, her letter to Mrs. Burson contained some poignant statements: ….

 

                It makes me sad to relive in memory those laughter – filled, carefree

                times….

                                We all worked so hard. We gave most of our free time and sacrificed

                many of our small pleasures to keep the library’s door open twice a week,

                to be responsible caretakers of our treasure over a period of years.

 

               

We honor all those early members of La Retama Club. They left a legacy ---- of integrity, achievement and unselfish devotion to their cause, which set the standard of this club for all time.

  

                In the decade of the twenties Corpus Christi was growing rapidly; by 1930 its population would reach 27, 789. The club members realized that; as the city would continue to grow its library need would grow beyond the ability of any small group to meet these needs. They decided in 1926 that the city should own the library and support it with tax money. (They had to persuade the City Fathers to accept this proposal!)

 

                Negotiations to transfer the library to the city began, and on June 17, 1927 the bill of sale for the consideration of $1.00 was delivered. We quote from the “History of La Retama Library” by Mrs. George Derry:

 

Back to top

 

                                On September 1, 1927, the City took over the operations of La Retama

                Public Library with the following specified requirements of La Retama

                Club previously having been agreed  to by signed contract, namely:

                                La Retama Library shall be kept and supported for public use; the

                operation of it shall be under the supervision of a board of seven

                members serving two years each on a rotary system; the board members

                shall be appointed by the City Council from a list of names submitted by La Retama Club 

                and there shall always be two La Retama Club members on the Library Board.

 

                This unusual arrangement endured for almost fifty years, not without protest from some City Councils. La Retama Club was relieved of the financial burden, but was assured a very close, guardian relationship. As Mrs. Derry expressed it:

 

                                The relationship of La Retama Library and La Retama Club was as

                that of a daughter and her parents. The Library was the brain child of

                the club, which nursed it through infancy and childhood to young adult.

                When the club gave it to the city it was as a daughter being given in

                marriage by the parents. The financial support ceased, to a certain extent, but labors of

                love have continued.

  

 

                The following year La Retama Club observed National Book Week, during which time 900 books were contributed to the library, raising the number on the shelves to 5,500.

All day club meetings were held for the purpose of repairing books, since the expense of sending them to be rebound was not yet included in the city’s budget.

 

                The labors of love continued when, in 1937 the W. W. Jones home, 511 South Broadway, was bought to house the library. Members helped unpack books, and catalog books

until the city’s budget could provide for paid help.

 

Back to top

                Mrs. Derry described this new home of the library:

 

                                It was wonderful – for the first time plenty of elbow room – spacious

                rooms, plenty of light – many rooms, making it possible to have one for

                historical items, one for a children’s room, a reference room etc. – a lovely

                location … But not yet the dream house, for it was a frame building,

                and not fireproof, so the idea of a future home was kept alive.

 

                It took 18 years for this dream of a future home to be realized. In March, 1955, La Retama Library moved into its new and modern building at the corner of Mesquite and and Peoples Street, where it is now. This had been the old City Hall, completely remodeled at a cost of $30,000,

funded by a bond issue. The book stock of almost 60,000 volumes was increased to 79,000, with enough space for 36,000 more books, and it would be open 70 hours a week.

 

                La Retama Club was elated over the new building. Two members, Catherine Terry (Mrs. Luther Terry) and Gazzie Warren (Mrs. Guy I Warren) serving on the Library Board since before 1950, had devoted years of effort to this project.

 

                Catherine, as President, and Gazzie worked personally with the architects and the the Librarian, Mrs. Margaret Hardy, and the then Assistant Librarian, Mrs. Phyllis Burson. They were responsible for the selection of all furnishings and fabrics.

 

                When the city sold the Jones property for $25,000, Gazzie went before the Council and persuaded them to allocate $6,000.00 of this sum to the library for custom – built book stacks. She also made sure that the staff  lounge was well furnished.

  

                The club’s gift to the library was the display case for the entrance room. At the request of city officials and the Library Board, members of La Retama Club assisted as hostesses at the dedication ceremony and open house on March 31, 1955.

 

Back to top

 

                The Friends of the Library was organized April 30, 1956. A year earlier Mrs. Burson had addressed the club on the Friends of the Library movement and the proposal that a Friends group be established in Corpus Christi. She said the Library Board wanted the project presented

to this club before the steering committee went ahead with the organization, and she added “What we want of La Retama Club is your blessing”.

 

                They received not only our blessing but our whole- hearted support. Members agreed that it would benefit the library to have this broader base of support in the community. Corpus Christi was maturing as a city; its population was approaching 150,000, and the library’s future growth would depend on wide public support.

 

                Several of our members worked with the Steering Committee, and the club was well represented at the organizational meeting. Mrs. V. G. (Eloise) Woolsey, President of

the Library Board commented that in her opinion … “the outstanding achievement of the Board was in acquiring Mrs.Phyllis Burson as Librarian; and in assisting in the organization of the Friends of the Library.”

 

                At the organizational meeting Mrs. Oscar (Emma) Koepke of La Retama Club was elected Vice-President. The elected President, Mrs. J. S. (Frances) Naismith, told the group:

 

                                Up to now La Retama Club has been the only organized “Friends”. Their

                contribution to La Retama Library has been truly great. Our new Friends

                organization has a check from them for each member. Their club is the

                first to become 100% in membership in the Friends.

 

                Since that time La Retama Club has channeled most of its effort for the library through the Friends. Each year we have 100% membership. The club is dedicated to help the Friends remain a strong group in support of the library. Many of our members have served on its Board

of Directors.

  

                Some excerpts from the club’s minutes show our ongoing interest in the library.

 

                Beginning on October 21, 1959:

                                Mrs. Derry gave a very informative report of library activities

                                during the past summer – plans for two new libraries in the near future.

                                (That was the beginning of Parkdale Branch Library, and later, Greenwood

                                Branch Library.)

   A year later, October 26, 1960:

                                Mrs. Frank Chilson (of the Friends) is asking our club for volunteers to

                                speak on the need of a bond issue to fund the building of a new branch.

                January 4, 1961:

                                Mrs. Haas said that the bond issue for a branch library would be $195,000.

                                She said the city allocated $8,000 additional for books….The club

                                voted to accept the responsibility of calling voter registration lists on

                                voting day.

 

Back to top

                In 1962 Parkdale Branch Library opened as the city’s first major branch. Parkdale Plaza was a new shopping center (there were not yet any malls). It had fine shops and was teeming with activity. Just across the street, Parkdale Branch Library was convenient and accessible to

many people. The building is an architectural jewel, uniquely designed, with a beautiful sculpture patio and a charming footbridge approach. Our club’s gift to the library was a bas-relief sculpture on the east wall entitled “The World of Fantasy”

 

                La Retama members serving on the Library Board from 1958 to 1962 were: Mrs. Conrad Blucher, Mrs. Paul Haas, Mrs. George Derry, Mrs. J. R. Sorrell and Mrs. Harry Carroll.

 

                Money and more books! This was the constant need of the library.

 

                In 1963 the federation of Women’s Clubs sponsored a Book Review to raise money for library books. Our club was responsible for the sale of tickets. Rosalis McCroskey,

Chairman, and her committee were so successful that the project netted over $2,000.00 for library books – a large sum in those days.

  

                In 1964 the club voted to give a book to the library in honor of each of the retiring president in lieu of the usual gift. Carrying out this tradition, our club gives a book to the library at our annual library meeting. Also in the tradition at any time we might send flowers, or present a gift, we give a book o the library, as a memorial or a means of recognition.

 

                A Convention of the Texas Library Association was held in Corpus Christi April 1-4, 1965. Mrs. Burson, our Librarian, was President of the Texas Library Association that year, Many La Retama members attended the Friends and Trustees Division, since the speaker was Corpus Christi

City Councilman Bill Wallace, husband of club member and past president Mary Wallace. Mr. Wallace spoke of the unique history of La Retama Library, and its “sale” to the city in 1927 for the sum of $1.00, He said, “It was brought to my attention that the city has never paid La Retama Club the $1.00, and I intend to pay off the city’s long-standing debt.” then, in the presence of a highly amused audience, he presented a crisp one-dollar bill. This one-dollar bill is in our scrapbook in the

library’s archives.

 

Back to top

 

                The Greenwood Branch Library, dedicated October 20, 1966, was the result of years of planning and hard work by many people. Mr. V. G. Woolsey was President of the Friends; Betty Allen (the late Mrs. Frank C. Allen, Jr.) was President of the Library Board. They, with Mrs.

Burson, accompanied by a loyal group of La Retama members, spoke at public meetings on the need of a bond issue for a new Westside Branch Library (later named Greenwood Branch Library).

 

                Mary Wallace, in her report as retiring president wrote:

 

                                When the bond election for the new Westside Branch came up, La Retama

                                was on deck with plenty of support for it. Some of our members were precinct

                                Chairmen. I know that Mary Haas and Rosalis McCroskey were                                 responsible for calling 2,000 names each. Many of our members helped with

                                this. Betty Allen, of course, spent hours of work on the election. Club

                                members assisted with coffees for women of club throughout the Westside

                                area – they in turn would get workers for the pre-election period.

 

             All the hard work paid off. Eleven bond issues were voted on that day, but the one for Westside Branch Library got more votes than any, except for the one for sewers.

 

                Mary Haas was appointed by the City Council to serve on the Site Selection Committee.

 

                2,000 people turned out for the dedication of GreenWood Branch Library. Imagine the heroism of the Reception Committee, Eloise Woolsey, Co-Chairman, who had planned ample refreshments for 500 to 700 people.

 

                La Retama members on the Library Board from 1963 to 1966 were Mrs. Frank C. Allen, Jr., Mrs. L. H. Gross, Mrs. Cecil D. Redford.

 

                Two of our members enjoyed a special status in the club – Miss Julia Caldwell and Miss Sarah Caldwell, who had been members since 1905 and 1906. They were the only present members who had helped found La Retama Library in 1909 and had shared in all the struggles of those early

years. To us they embodied the tradition and the spirit of the club. Quite simply we adored them.

 

                At one club meeting of the year 1968-1969, Miss Sarah proposed that we establish associate memberships. “We are all getting older”, she said, “and its time we start thinking of passing the torch to younger, more vigorous women who can carry on the club tradition, and do more to help the Library. I, for one, would like to go associate and have my membership filled by a younger women.” The club did not act on Miss Sarah’s suggestion until some years later when Honorary and Associate Memberships were established but her thought had been firmly planted.

 

                Without their knowledge, the club decided to honor Miss Julia and Miss Sarah in a very special way. Plans were carried out by the Special Gifts Committee, Mary Flynt, Chairman, and the Library Committee, Mary Haas, Chairman, Alleyene Coleman and Juanita Clark.

 

                There was great excitement at our annual Library Meeting of March 6, 1969. We met in the newly decorated third floor of La Retama Library. Mrs. Burson, opening the ceremony, gave the history of this building and the role of La Retama Club in helping to make it possible.

 

                Mary Flynt, then presented Mrs. Burson with a check for $500.00 from all the members of the club, for the purpose of establishing a new library service, a circulating collection of framed Art Reproductions to be called

 

 

Back to top

The Julia and Sarah Caldwell Circulating Art Collection.

The library had prepared an attractive brochure introducing the collection.

 

                The City Council, on May 8, 1974 revoked the city’s contract of April, 1927 with La Retama Club which specified that the Library Board be appointed from a list of names submitted by La Retama Club. Instead, they passed City of Corpus Christi Ordinance #12044 which provides a

seven member Library Board appointed solely by the Council, and adds:

 

                                There is hereby created an eighth membership, said membership to be an

                ex-officio, voting membership, to be filled by the President of La Retama

                Club or her designee.

 

                A committee was appointed to change our Constitution in accordance with this new city ordinance. It was agreed that we would elect a younger member as president, who would at the same time serve on the Library Board, and the following year, as she serves the second year of

term on the Library Board, we would elect and older member to Presidency of the Club.

 

                Members who have served on the Library Advisory Board since enactment of this ordinance are: Mrs. Jeff (Mary) Bell, Mrs. James (Louise) Dinn, Mrs. H. W. (La Verne) Volk,

Jr., Mrs. Robert E. (Beverley) Wallace, and Mrs. Clay (Jean) Caldwell. Each one of them has served with real distinction, and the club is immensely proud of their performance.

 

                La Retama Club was singularly honored at the annual meeting of Friends of the Library on October 23, 1975. The program was devoted to the history and development of our public library.

 

                Mrs. Joe (Patty) Mueller, President of the Friends, had compiled a history of the library to 1975 entitled “A Mighty Library From Little Peanuts Grew”, and had made copies available for guests to take home. She gave an eloquent tribute to the early members of La Retama Club, who

founded our city’s first public library, and said: “The support of La Retama Club has continued from that time to this.” She cited their constant contributions ---- of books, of gifts, of untold hours of time and service, as members of the Library Board, as participants in projects of the Friends, concluding, “They can always be counted on … for support for library needs.”

  

                Mrs. Mueller’s “TRIBUTE AND MEMOIRS TO LA RETAMA CLUB’ may be found in its entirely in the La Retama Collection of the local history room at the library.

  

                The Flour Bluff Branch Library was the third major branch of our city’s library system. It was dedicated and opened to the public on January 28, 1978. Mary Bell was serving on the Library Board as a representative of La Retama Club. The club presented the gift of a book drop to the new Flour Bluff Branch.

  

Back to top

                On April 9, 1980 La Retama Club celebrated its 75th birthday with an elegant Guest Day Brunch at Keys Parlor of the First Christian Church. The social Committee; Rosalis McCroskey, Chairman, Lib Vestal, Beverley Wallace, Henry Ella Bissett, Gladys Gibson, and Mary Haas arranged an outstandingly beautiful party. It was catered by Betty Jasperson, a former member of the club, whose exquisite refreshments reflected her  personal interest. All of the 50 year members were honored with corsages. They were: Mrs. Frank C. (Betty) Allen, Jr., Mrs. Conrad (Zula) Blucher,

Mrs. Charles (Alleyne) Coleman, Mrs. Charles (Gladys) Gibson, Mrs. I. C. (Hertha) Kerridge, Mrs. W. B. (Violet) McCampbell, Mrs. E. A. (Courtney) McCampbell, Mrs. Luter (Catherine) Terry.

  

                One of our members has  the distinction of serving on The Advisory Council for the South

Texas Library System.

 

                Louise Dinn served two years on the City Library Board, then in 1982 was appointed by the City Council to represent Corpus Christi on the six member Advisory Council of the

Texas Library Systems. The Texas Library Systems Act was passed in 1969 to provide better library services and resources in all Texas libraries, It provides funding for the Texas Library System which functions through 10 Regional Systems. In each region (system) the strongest library is

designated as the Main Resource center. Thus Corpus Christi Public Library is the Main Resource Center for the South Texas System, which includes 44 libraries in 22 counties.

 

                Louise served a three year term and has been reappointed to another three year term. She is also on the Planning Commision which recommends budget. To appreciate the magnitude of her job, their budget for 1984-1985 was $670,305 (2/3 million).

 

                 The Northwest Branch Library was dedicated on June 16, 1982. Located at 3202 McKenzie Road, this was our city’s fourth major branch library.

 

                At the impressive dedication ceremony our club was well-represented, along with a large attendance from the area. Women’s clubs and the Northwest Business Men’s Association, working with the Friends, had spearheaded the drive in their part of town for this new Northwest

Branch Library which would serve this area.

 

Back to top

                Members of La Retama Club who served on the Library Board from the years of initial planning to the final completion of the new Northwest Branch Library were:

Mrs. Jeff (Mary) Bell, Jr., Mrs. James (Louise) Dinn and Mrs. H. W. (La Verne) Volk, Jr.

 

                In the early months of 1980 the third floor of La Retama Library was declared unsafe after inspection by several engineers. The Library Board decided this was the time to build a new main library. We has three excellent branch libraries, and a fourth, the Northwest Branch already “in the hopper”. The question was whether the people of Corpus Christi would support a bond issue

for a new main library.

 

                The Friends undertook a comprehensive survey to determine whether there would be community support. They prepared a questionnaire which was mailed to 2,252 voters,

Many volunteers from La Retama Club assisted the Friends in mailing these questionnaires.

 

                The response was positive, and the City Council approved a bond issue for five million dollars to build a new central library. For election time, Lucy Hill organized a tremendous committee involving members of other clubs as well as La Retama Club members to call voter registration lists.

 

                For the past several years the club has followed with intense interest the development of our new main library, which is nearing completion on the corner of Comanche and Tancahua Streets, adjacent to Blucher Park.

 

                Some of our members have been deeply involved in the new library. Mary Bell’s service in the interest of Corpus Christi Public Libraries dates back to 1965 when she was Secretary of the Friends, and before she became a member of La Retama Club. She joined the Library Board in 1976

as a representative of La Retama Club and has been reappointed by the City Council to every two year term since then. She has participated in the planning of the

 

 

Flour Bluff Branch Library, the Northwest Branch Library,   and for the past three years, as President of the Library Board, has had a major responsibility in seeing the new main library to completion. Her record is magnificent. 

                Other members on the Library Board are Beverley Wallace with the heavy responsibility as Chairman of the Building Committee, and Jean Caldwell, Chairman of Landscaping. On the Board of Directors of the Friends are La Verne Volk, Secretary, and Connie Freeman, Editor of

their excellent newsletter, Bookends, and Lucy Hill in charge of memorial plaques.

 

Back to top

 

                At the luncheon meeting on May 1985, Jean Caldwell’s summary of the club’s activities for the year reflect our total involvement in the library. She wrote:…

 

                Without doubt, the groundbreaking for the new central library was the

                highlight of the year and it was gratifying to see so many of you there to

turn your shovel of dirt and to stand to be counted when Mayor Jones recog-

nized our group….

In January you turned out in force to assist in the final phase of address-

ing and processing for mailing the invitations to the Hershey First Edition

fund raising gala. Phyllis Allen, one of our new members we welcome today

was chairman of the Invitation Committee, and Margaret Moss, another new

member we welcome was chairman of Mailing.

On February 15th the great day arrived – the elegant First Edition Gala

was held at the Hershey Hotel with a capacity crowd attending. Beverley

Wallace was chairman of the event, assisted by La Verne Volk, Connie

Freeman and many others. All their untold hours of work and planning re-

sulted in a delightful evening and the amazing total of over $118,000.00

toward the $1,400.000.00 fund drive in progress by the Friends of the Library

for the purchase of furniture and books.

….

 

In April a reception was given by Friends of the Library at the Bay-

front Auditorium Lounge, honoring over 100 businesses and citizens who

had donated money to the fund drive. Again you heeded the call for help

and furnished the sandwiches for the reception. To my surprise, La Retama

Club was among those receiving a certificate of appreciation from the

            Mayor. Once again he asked the members to stand. We had a great turn-

out….

Also in April it became apparent that the last hope for including the

third floor shell of the library building depended on assistance from

Nueces County. You were asked to attend the County Commissioners’ meet-

ing as a show of support as Mary Bell urged them to approve the request for

money. It was passed, and as we prepared to leave the Commissioners’

Court, Judge Barnes asked how many La Retama members were in the audience

-          there was quite of us

This has been a busy year for those who have worked so hard on the building

and we are very proud of another member, Beverley Wallace, who has done such a

terrific job as Chairman of the Building Committee….

To end on a happy note, I would like you to know that the Retama Club

Fund now totals $4,652.00 – that $5,000.00 goal that looked a little

out of reach a year ago will surely become a reality, and then you will

have the joy of deciding how you want it earmarked for the new building.

 

Back to top

                The record of our city’s public library system is one of constant growth and development, and the beautiful new main library represents a gigantic step forward. It is a triumph of achievement that is possible only in a receptive community. Through the years countless people have been

dedicated to the goal of providing Corpus Christi with the best public library of its time and La Retama Club has always been a solid core of that group. Our support of the public library, since its founding in the year 1909, has continued for three quarters of a century as an unbroken thread to the present, and will continue --- into the future.


Corpus Christi Public Libraries     805 Comanche     Corpus Christi, TX 78401

Tel: (361) 826-7000       Fax (361)  826-7046        Email:  library@cclibraries.com

Last Update: June 2008     ©2008  Corpus Christi Public Libraries