La Retama Club History 1935-1944

 

W. W. Jones Home on S. Upper Broadway

-McGregor

Photograph Collection 1-Box 4

 

On October 11, 1937, the City of Corpus Christi moved La Retama Library to 501 South Upper Broadway.  This was the former home of W. W. Jones.  This purchase for the library became possible when Lorine Jones Spoonts Lewis, one of the heirs to her father’s estate, donated her $10,000 interest in the house.  This was the first building purchased exclusively for La Retama Library.  La Retama Club member,  Nellie Blucher Derry,  later recalled, “It was wonderful—for the first time plenty of elbow room—spacious rooms, plenty of light—many rooms making it possible to have one for historical items, one for children’s room, a reference room—a reading room, a wonderful location swept by the sea breezes.  But not yet the dream library building for it was a frame building, not fireproof, so the idea of a future permanent home was still kept alive.” 

W. W. Jones on S. Upper Broadway W. W. Jones Home on S. Upper Broadway

Photograph Collection 1 - Box 7

-Lifetime Custom Prints, 1952

Current Photo, Church right of W.W. Jones HomeCurrent photo of the First Presbyterian Church located on S. Upper Broadway. The W. W. Jones Home originally stood left of the church.

-Norma Gonzalez/Public Libraries, 2004


Corpus Christi Public Libraries     805 Comanche     Corpus Christi, TX 78401

Tel: (361) 826-7000       Fax (361)  826-7046        Email:  library@cclibraries.com

Last Update: June 2008     ©2008  Corpus Christi Public Libraries